Saturday, September 1, 2007

Preschool Open House

My little man Jacob will be going to Shelley's (my walking buddy from the ward and good friend) house for preschool starting on Tuesday! She held an open house yesterday (Friday) and each of the students were given a 15-minute time slot where they could come by and check it all out. My friend Jill also has a son attending this preschool, so we decided we would watch each other's boys while the other one had their 15 minutes of fame.

I thought it was a clever plan but when Jill showed up with her four boys, Jacob did not want to leave to go to the open house. He wanted to stay and play with his friends. I finally coaxed him out the door but when we got there he told me, "Mom, why don't you just go in and check it out real quick...I'll just wait in the car." Hello?! That's the whole point!

Being the mean mommy that I am, I made him come in to see his new school. It looks like it is going to be really fun. It's interesting for me to be on the mom side of school now instead of being the teacher. I just kept snapping pictures and glowing with the shear brilliance of my genius boy. It probably took Shelley all she had not to roll her eyes at me and laugh.

Shelley asked Jacob if he could find his name on one of the folders and of course he was able to "read" his name right off. (I'm already glowing at this point....didn't even need the flash on my camera!)
Inside his folder was a snack for him to eat. He's a fan of food just like me so he was liking this preschool stuff already.


Shelley showed him around the house and then she traced his hand for future projects. While tracing she asked him if he knew if the hand she was tracing was his left or his right hand. Hah! He couldn't be stumped, he knew it was his right. Another proud mama moment. (I know, I know, he had a 50/50 chance but he still KNEW it!)
When she went to write his name on the paper, she asked him what letter his name started with. He smiled and said a 'J.' Oh yeah, buddy!

I can't wait to see all of the new things he'll learn in preschool this year!

No comments: