Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Boy and His Bike

***To see Jake in live action check him out here!***

This boy has more determination than any I know. Lo and behold Jacob can ride his bike without training wheels. I burst with pride. He begged me for weeks to take the training wheels off and I told him to keep practising. I wasn't ready yet. I knew it would be hard for him (and me, running along side). I thought he would fall and cry and want the training wheels put back on, but this is the kind of thing where there's no turning back. Finally I gave in and asked Will to remove the tiny wheels. He did fall and it was hard. BUT each time he got back up and wanted to try again. I truly was impressed with his strong will.That very same night Jake was able to ride short stretches on his own. And he's gotten better and better from there. I only have to steady the bike for him while he gets on now. I should know better than to doubt this boy. Once he has his mind set...watch out!
Nathan is intrigued with watching him.
Look, look, look! He can do it!
Jake's not the only one that can ride. Check out Josh's speed racing!Josh prefers his "motorcycle" because he can go faster on it than on his bike with training wheels. He has a need for speed.Nathan may be little but he can ride too!He loves being big like his brothers.Jacob did not want to stop riding. Over and over again we'd go. So while he rode, Nathan and Josh played on "R2-D2." (All fire hydrants are called R2-D2 at our house.)

Joshua is often timid when it comes to climbing (something that seems uncharacteristic for him...) so he was very courageous to climb to the top of the fire hydrant.This picture truly captures the moment. If you look closely you can see content baby Nene, Josh climbing on "R2D2," and Jake crashed out in the street. Each boy so different and each so wonderful.

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

Wow Jacob that is so amazing. It looks like alot of fun riding your bike! Joshua you sure are a handsome little guy. You look like you are going so fast. Boys I love you all I just can't wait till you come to Vegas!

Grandma Nelson said...

Sounds to me like Jacob is his mother's son:) Did you describe him as determined or stubborn? Hmmmm! They all all growing up. Thanks for the pics. They're great!

Kathryn said...

Congrats Jake on being able to ride without training wheels!! How cool! It's fun to see them all outside and enjoying the need for speed! :-)

jjjensenfamily said...

Thanks for the encouragement. After seeing Jacob, Sam is finally convinced that he can do it, too.

Katie said...

Cute pictures. I love the one of Josh with the huge grin! And hooray to Jacob. That's a huge accomplishment for a kid!

Lindsay said...

Great job, Jacob! You probably ride your bike better than I can! Those are some cute pictures of the boys! You have such a cute and fun family!

Olivia said...

Natalie I love looking at your blog to see what boys like to do. I've only ever been a mom to a girl so I'm curious how these little tykes will be. You do great at keeping your little guys busy. Jacob is a real natural on that bike. I can't believe how big they are getting.

Anonymous said...

Great work.