Saturday, June 28, 2008

I Declare!

I went to Old Navy's big hyped up summer sale today. I did love that the flip flops were all $1.00 since they are my shoe of choice. I generously bought a round of flip flops for the whole family. Willie will be getting a few new polo shirts that were $1.97 and a new swimsuit that was 50% off. What did I get for myself at the summer sale? Sweaters. Not quite what I was expecting to be purchasing today but I couldn't pass them up for 97 cents. I don't even think you can buy yarn at that price. The store was packed and the line was long (only two registers open) and while we were waiting not so patiently, they had a little game. A worker guy on a ladder (who I thought should be working a register instead of running a game) explained he would ask questions, we raise our hands, and he would call on somebody. (Man, I wish I had taken pictures...)It was all really high-tech. The good part was if you got the answer correct, you got a ticket for $5.00 off your purchase. I perked right up. (I mean really, that's five free sweaters!)The questions were about things like the origin of flip flops, the most common shoe size, etc. I was towards the back of the line and couldn't even hear really well and figured I didn't have a chance with all the eager ladies raising their hands. Then he asked the question, "What occurred on July 4th that we celebrate?" I quickly raised my hand along with ONE other lady. Huh? Only two of us know the answer? He called on me and I said, "The signing of the Declaration of Independence." Complete silence. I think I even heard a cricket chirp. He looked back at his paper. What the? Maybe he was getting technical* on me, but I seriously doubt it. He looked a little confused and said, "Yes." I don't know what the answer on his paper said but I'm guessing it was obviously something different than what I had said. I leave the three boys in line to go retrieve my prize (remember I was in the way back) and as I'm returning to my spot with the coveted ticket the lady behind me says, "Wow, you're really smart." I almost laughed out loud and held my tongue from saying what I was thinking. Please tell me everyone in that store knew the 4th of July is not just a day off work and for fireworks. I can't get over that only one other person even raised their hand! (Maybe everyone behind me was raising their hands and I couldn't see all the "smart" people behind me.)INDEPENDENCE. FREEDOM. It's a big deal, people. I'm really disappointed in my fellow Old Navy shoppers. BUT I suppose I should get off my soapbox; it is because they didn't know why we celebrate July 4th that I got $5.00 off my purchase. Let freedom ring!

*(The Declaration of Independence was officially adopted on July 4, 1776, but the signing of the "official" copy was August 2, 1776.)

7 comments:

Kelly M said...

Ha! Who the heck shops at your Old Navy? Were they US Citizens? :) That is too funny. Way to go on 5 free sweaters, though! Too, too funny!

Nat Lud said...

That is hilarious--sort of sad too! The 4th of July is my fave holiday and is such an important one! Way to be Patriotic sista!

Cynthia said...

97 cent sweaters. Man your old navy beats ours any day and that game sounded great. Good thing you are "so smart." I mean really. I can't wait to stop playing phone tag with you and finally get to talk to you!

Karen said...

Maybe the answer on the paper was our FREEDOM from England and that came because of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Sad sad world we live in. Good for you for getting the prize. You deserved it.

Emily said...

Soooooooooooooo funny! How dumb can people be. I guess I can consider myself smart too now!

Katie said...

Too funny (and sad!). That's like something straight from the Jay Leno show~! 97 cent sweaters? Boy, i should have gone to old navy!

hoLLy said...

was everyone there a bunch of idiots or what? at least there was one smart person there. . .:) i wish our old navy was cool like that. i love games!