Saturday, November 22, 2008

Grandpa Nelson

(Thanks to my sister for sending me this picture of our whole family with Grandma and Grandpa. This was the last time I saw my Grandpa Nelson at the family reunion in June this year.)
My grandfather (my dad's dad) passed away this morning. I have such great memories of him and hopefully I'll be able to dig up some pictures.

Grandpa was such a tease! He wore dentures and would pop them out and make funny faces at us kids. It would freak me out but we would die laughing and tell our parents what Grandpa was doing. Grandpa always just looked at Mom and Dad like he had no clue what we were talking about and would do it over and over when our parents weren't looking.

Grandpa had a love for music and singing. I remember him playing his trombone. I remeber him singing "Mr. Moon" and "Mares Eat Oats" and now I sing these songs to my boys.

Grandpa handed out the Christmas stockings at the family Christmas party. It was a fun tradition to sit on Grandpa's lap and tell him that you had been good all year and in exchange for a hug and kiss get a stocking full of goodies.

I am glad to have known my Grandpa Nelson and what he stood for. He was a man of honor, a true hero, a worker and not a complainer. I need to be more like him. I will miss him, but I am grateful to know that I will see him again.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Natalie, Duke and I are so sorry to hear about your Grandpa passing away! It sounds like he was a wonderful man and that he will be greatly missed!! We will keep you and your family in our prayers!

Nat Lud said...

Sorry to hear about this! It was nice to read about him.

Carol Swift said...

Thanks for sharing you memories about your grandpa. He sounds like someone very special. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

Sarah said...

I'm sorry about your grandpa. Thanks for sharing.

Janna said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa Nat. I hope you are doing ok. Your family will be in our prayers. And thank you again for taking Aleah the other morning. It helped out SO much and I really really appreciate it. LOVE YOU GIRL!